When I walked outside this morning to fill the bird feeders, I withered like a delicate flower. Seeing as how I am not a flower (nor delicate), this is my poetic way of telling you it was already scorching hot at 8AM.
So how does a withered flower combat a hot day that will only get hotter? Blackened Shrimp Caesar Salad, of course!
This salad is 200% awesome.
- 50% because cool + creamy Caesar dressing
- 50% because piquant + spicy blackened shrimp
- 50% because crunchy + garlicky croutons
- 50% because rich + sapid Parmesan cheese
Actually, it’s probably more like 300% awesome. (You’ll agree once you dive in.) It’s a quick + easy celebration of crisp Romaine and juicy tomatoes on these uncomfortably warm summer days.
A key ingredient is good shrimp. Although farm-raised shrimp have an attractive price-point, I always choose wild-caught because their flavor surpasses that of their competitors. We are fortunate to live about 2.5 hours from the coast, so our markets stock a steady supply of sweet + plump Georgia browns. Maybe it is because I have been eating them since my first teeth pushed through my baby gums, but they are like mother’s milk to me. Sure, I may be partial, but this is my blog and I’m standing by my shrimp!
It would behoove you to make the salad in advance of the shrimp so when the little warm shrimpies are ready, the salad will be waiting for them to jump on in. Or serve them cold–it’s your call. Then toss everything with creamy Caesar dressing + sprinkle with loads of pungent cheese + homemade croutons. Tomatoes are nontraditional Caesar ingredients, but I like how their brightness balances the spicy shrimp + unctuous dressing.
This Blackened Shrimp Caesar Salad pairs beautifully with crisp + dry whites such as unoaked chardonnays or off-dry Pinot Grigios.
If you make this Blackened Shrimp Caesar Salad, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below, tag #nakedepicurean on Instagram, and Pin it to your favorite recipe boards so we can celebrate together!
Blackened Shrimp Caesar Salad (4 entrees)
for the blackened shrimp
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, preferably wild caught, peeled and deveined
- 1-2 teaspoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (optional)
- 2-4 tablespoons House Blend Blackening Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 lemons, juiced and divided
for the salad
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce, torn
- creamy Caesar dressing of choice
- ½+ cup Parmesan or another strong cheese, grated or shredded or shaved
- tomatoes (optional)
- crunchy + garlicky croutons
- Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel and place them in a bowl. Add the olive oil, garlic paste, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of the blackening seasoning to the bowl. Toss until evenly coated.
- Heat a large saute pan to medium high. Melt the butter. Lay the shrimp in the pan in a single layer and sprinkle with the remaining blackening seasoning. Sear the shrimp over medium high heat, tossing, for 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining lemon juice.
- Toss the lettuce with the dressing until evenly coated. Top each salad with the blackened shrimp + croutons + shredded cheese + tomatoes.