Even Indian-spice newbies can create this amazingly robust and simple curry powder blend. Once I learned how to make my own, I never looked back.
While curry blends vary across the geography, they typically combine golden turmeric + earthy cumin + nutty fenugreek with various and sundry drool-worthy flavors. Tailoring the combination of spices to your own palate just makes sense.
Making your own blend also gives you control over toasting the spices or not. Toasting the spices brings out a deep, delicious earthiness.
If possible, start with whole spices. They tend to be more vibrant and retain their fresh flavor longer. Spices that are already ground are exposed to air which leaches away their oil, or flavor. Whole spices also have a longer shelf life.
Spice conversion from whole to ground
- cardamom pods: dehusk the pods to reveal the seeds. For the recipe below, you will need the seeds from about 3 pods.
- cinnamon: one 1 ½” stick yields about 1 teaspoon. Save any remainder in an airtight jar.
- coriander: one teaspoon of seeds will yield about 1 ¼ teaspoons of ground coriander
- cumin: one teaspoon of cumin seeds will yield approximately
1 ¼ teaspoons of ground cumin
- fenugreek: one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds will yield approximately
1 ¼ teaspoons of ground fenugreek
To grind your spices, you can use a mortar and pestle which ideal for small amounts of spices. If you have a substantial amount to grind, a coffee grinder makes the process a breeze. To clean your grinder (before adding coffee or before adding spices), put 1-2 tablespoons of rice in the bowl and grind into a powder. Use a damp cloth to wipe out the bowl and let it air dry.
Create your own house blend today!
I’d love to hear what you add to your house blend and all the things you put it on! Leave a comment below and tag #nakedepicurean on Instagram so we can celebrate together!*
House Blend Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin ( < 1 teaspoon of seeds)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander ( < 1 teaspoon of seeds)
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek ( < 1 teaspoon of seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon ( < 1 ½” stick)
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom (or seeds from 3 pods)
- ⅓+ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your preference of heat)
Add all ingredients to a jar. Shake.
This blend will last up to three months.
Use this House Blend Curry Powder in my Asian-fusion Creamy Coconut + Curry Chickpeas