This vegan chili is so kick-ass it could convert carnivores to a plant-based diet.
No joke. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. It is so healthy + hearty they won’t miss the meat!
This upcoming weekend hosts a clash of colossal titans, and you need a game plan. Here’s how it is going down:
- You’re going to make this delicios vegan chili for weekend dinner.
- Then you’ll pour some of it over chips to make these Ultimate Fully Loaded nachos for The Big Game.
- Next you’re going to slather the chili on baked potatoes for Monday’s family friendly meal.
- Put the rest in the freezer for dinner on the fly.
It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
One beautiful aspect of this recipe is how easy it is to prepare. It requires only a few simple steps:
- opening the cans
- chopping the veggies
- measuring the spices
Then you hand the apron over to Mrs. Patmore and voila! You have the rest of the day to spend as you choose. (I call my slow cooker Mrs. Patmore. She is the closest thing I have to Downton Abbey staff.)
Because this recipe is so easy, it is essential that you incorporate flavorful spices. I used chile powder from New Mexico and some smoked paprika from Hungary. I keep these treasures in the freezer and pull them out as needed. This recipe is also delicious with a package of chili seasoning mix and a jar of pasta sauce. Keep it simple!
You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry or icebox. I used canned beans and tomatoes and root vegetables from the fridge. It is a dynamic recipe–it changes with the inventory I have on hand.
Then there are the infinite toppings! Go nuts, you filthy animal! (Toppings can also be modified to be gluten free if you choose them carefully.)
Finally, give the chili a squeeze of lime for brightness and dig in!
Wash it down with a light lager (or bubbles, which are ALWAYS an option).
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave comments and/or tag #nakedepicurean on Instagram so we can celebrate together!
Ultimate Spicy Vegan Slow-Cooker Chili
Use any of all of these:
- Beans: kidney, black, navy (drained)
- Root vegetables: carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes
- Peppers: red, green, jalapeno, chipotle in adobo (my favorite!)
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, S&P (1-2 tablespoon each)
- A couple of cans of tomatoes; perhaps tomato sauce
- Garlic cloves
- Onion: red, white, or yellow
- Celery, chopped
- Corn (I do not drain my canned corn, but you do you)
- Gardein ™ Beefless Crumbles
- Any condiments you desire. Check out the ones I put on my Ultimate Loaded Vegan Nachos
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
- Chop your vegetables. Put them in the slow cooker.
- Add your spices.
- Add your beans (and water, if needed).
- Mix well.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours. (Long and slow is best.)
Serve with condiments of your choice.