There is not much more for me to say other than you need these carrots in your life. One bite of this flavor-texture combination and you’ll swear there is a party in your mouth.
It was quite a conundrum to come up with a name befitting these extraordinary carrots.
Oven Roasted Carrots? Sounds boring.
Honey Glazed Carrots? It’s already been used a gazillion times.
Sesame Carrots? Misleading. Suggests they’re more savory than sweet.
Nutty Carrots? Weird.
Carrots with Nuts? Even weirder.
Honey Glazed Oven Roasted Cheesy Nutty Carrots? Um, no.
So until we can come up with a catchy name, I am going to call them Wham Bam Thank You Ma’am Carrots. Why? Because you will thank me for sharing this recipe.
If The Man were not on the golf course today as I piddled in the kitchen, he would have told me the carrots should be grilled (his answer for everything). While that is a consideration, he was not here. And since the grill is his domain, into the oven they went.
The saltiness of the goat cheese mixed with sweet honey and pungent chives, plated with caramelized carrots, toasty nuts and playful herbs with a zing of red pepper…can you say WOW?
This is not the quickest carrot recipe, nor is it a dreadfully painful one. What it IS is an exciting and lively food combination adventure. So jump in and let’s go!
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think. Tag #nakedepicurean, especially if you can come up with a more descriptive name than Wham Bam Thank You Ma’am Carrots.
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 8 chives, sliced (reserve some for garnish)
- 8 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 7-8 medium carrots, halved or quartered lengthwise if they are thick
freshly ground S&P
the juice of 1 lime
cilantro leaves, coarsely torn
mint leaves, coarsely torn
sprinkle of crushed red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- In a small pan, toast the pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds on the stove, about 3 minutes. Add sunflower seeds to pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Add the vinegar-honey mixture to the pan with seeds and stir over low heat until just combined, about 30 seconds. Cover to keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the chives, goat cheese, ¼ cup of olive oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, and black pepper (more to taste) until well blended. Spread onto a serving dish, then cover lightly with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Toss the carrots with the remaining ¼ cup olive oil and spread on a roasting pan. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast 12-15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Carrots are ready when they are tender and somewhat blistered.
- Place the carrots on top of the goat cheese mixture. Squeeze the lime over the carrots and goat cheese mixture. Drizzle with seed-honey mixture and garnish with cilantro, mint leaves, chives, and crushed red pepper.